Solar Panels in San Diego, CA
Known for its sand and seals, San Diego is California’s beautiful beach town with the dreamiest climate. After all, they don’t call it sunny San Diego for no reason. That comes at an advantage to those interested in home solar panels. With more than 266 sunny days a year, well above the national average of just 213, you can be sure solar panels are worth it in San Diego.
Below, we’ll break down some of the top reasons to go solar and some of the incentives for doing so.
Cost of Solar Panels in San Diego
The short answer is, there’s no short answer. Multiple variables play a role in determining the cost of solar panel systems in San Diego. Some of these factors include, your typical energy consumption, how sunny your area is, the size of your home and more. A knowledgeable Solar Sales Specialist can provide you with an official quote as well as answer any questions you may have about the true cost of solar for your situation.
Wouldn’t it be nice to not have to worry about the rising costs of your electric bill? One of the main benefits to going solar is the ability to lock in your energy prices by producing your own energy. You can even MAKE money thanks to San Diego allowing Net Metering (NEM) opportunities, where you can sell back the excess energy you produce to your utility company.
Are solar panels worth it in San Diego?
San Diego, and all of California is one of the best places in the country to go solar. Why?
- California is the nation’s leader when it comes to solar power.
- California has the largest number of solar PV installs in the nation (over 1 million).
- California ranks 1st in the nation in terms of total installed solar capacity at 28,471 MW.
- California has the highest percentage of electricity generated from solar (over 22%).
- California is first in the national growth projection of solar energy (SEIA.org).
- California is also the nation leader in blackouts, with over 4,297 blackouts within the last decade. (2018 Eaton’s Blackout Tracker research)
Top Reasons to Go Solar in San Diego
Installing residential solar panels in San Diego is a great investment for California homeowners. Do you want to know the top reasons we think so? Here they are.
- Electricity prices. California energy prices are around 29% higher than the national average, with an upward trend over the last decade. In comparison to the rest of the nation, the change in California electric prices over the years soared well above the rest of the nation.
- Sunshine. California, on average, has plenty of year round sunshine that can be used to convert to energy. With around 275 days per year of sunny days, California is a prime location in the U.S. for installing solar panels.
- Blackouts. California has the most amount of blackouts in the nation, clocking in over 4,000 in the last decade, and climbing (Eaton).
- Solar mandate. As of 2020, solar is now mandatory on every new home built in California. Don’t be left in the dark when everyone else on your block is harnessing the power of the sun, especially during all those blackouts.
- Clean environment. Renewable energy is good for the environment: it produces no waste in the air, oceans and land like oil and gas. California is one of the most progressive states in the nation for renewable energy policies, and ranks second only after Washington for installed renewable energy capacity.
- Advanced technology. As with any other technology, the more it develops, the more affordable it becomes. The solar technology field has made huge advancements over the last few decades making it more reliable, affordable and more appealing than ever. Whether it’s the new sleek black LG panels, the Enphase Encharge, or Tesla Powerwall batteries, you’ll be satisfied with your purchase. Choosing a solar installer (like Sunpro Solar) who only uses the latest technology with the most reputable brands (LG and Tesla) will give you peace of mind in your investment. Plus puts the power in your hands with advanced app monitoring technologies.
- Solar incentives. California has state-wide solar programs that make the investment of going solar worthwhile. Take advantage of local utility rebates, the 26% federal tax credit and net metering: a program that allows you to sell back your unused energy to the utility company. Make the utility company your customer and reduce or zero out your monthly electricity bill.
San Diego Solar Rebates, Solar Incentives, and Tax Credits
The best incentive for going solar in San Diego is the federal solar tax credit (ITC), which is 26% through 2022.
The other incentives that make solar a good investment in California are:
Let’s find out more.
California Net Metering (NEM) for San Diego
If you’re wondering about San Diego solar rebates, you’re not alone. While San Diego county doesn’t have its own solar rebate program, the utility companies participate in the state-wide program of net metering.
NEM 2.0 is California’s generous net metering program, which is part of the reason you’ll start to see the investment in your solar panel purchase This was put in place in 2016 by the California Public Utility Commission.
It works like this: for every kilowatt-hour (kWh) of solar electricity you feed into your utility company’s grid, you get a bill credit for one kWh of utility-generated electricity. This means that with the right size solar system, you can drastically reduce, zero out, or come out with a negative electricity bill each month.
If you live in San Diego, you’re most likely using Southern California Edison for your energy. SCE has a great net metering program, you can learn more about it here.
Federal Solar Tax Credit
The best solar incentive available in San Diego, and most everywhere, is the Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) offered by the United States federal government. This federal tax credit is available to California home and business owners and offers a generous 26% credit of the entire solar system cost, including a battery system.
To take advantage of this federal income tax credit, you need to have your solar system installed by the end of 2022. From 2023 onward, the tax credit will drop to 22% and then disappear in 2024.
Solar Panels and the Value of Your Home in California
Not only do solar panels save you money, they also add value to your home.
On average, solar panels add $20 of value for every $1 you save on your electric bill. Translation: for every $100 saved on your bill = $2,000 additional value to your home. (According to a comprehensive report done by the US Department of Energy and National Renewable Energy Laboratory.)
Solar panels help your home sell for more.
Another study (Department of Energy and Berkeley Laboratory) showed that homes with solar panels fetched a higher asking price than those without. About $4/watt, which comes out to be around $15,000 for residential, depending on your home and solar system.
And, help your home sell faster.
In addition, solar panels can help your property spend less time on the market. In another study done by NREL, they found that solar properties earned about 17% more at closing, in addition to selling 20% faster.
Property Tax Exemption for Solar Panels in California
Another great reason to go solar for California residents is that solar panels are completely property tax exempt. That means that, unlike some other states, you can add solar panels to your home and get all the benefits without having to pay additional property taxes.
(Under the Property Tax Exclusion for solar Energy Systems, 100% of the assessed value of the solar system is exempt from the homeowner’s property taxes.)
Solar Batteries and Protection from Outages in California
With the issues of climate change causing more wildfires and natural disasters in California, you may be looking for peace of mind when it comes to blackouts. It makes sense that residents of California, also known as the Blackout Queen, might be on the hunt for alternatives rather than reliance on their utility grid for power. The answer is a solar panel system with a solar battery backup like the Enphase Encharge or Tesla Powerwall.
Read more: Tesla Powerwall vs Enphase Encharge
There is even more good news for California when it comes to solar batteries. Unlike in most other states, California offers a generous incentive for adding a battery to your solar system.
This incentive is called the Self-Generation Incentive Program and in preparation for the next wildfire season, the CPUC has authorized funding of more than $1 billion through 2024 for SGIP.
How do you take advantage of this incentive? Talk to a Solar Sales Specialist about your options.Free Tesla Powerwall Quote
Solar Companies San Diego: How Do I Choose A Solar Company in San Diego?
There are a lot of options when it comes to solar companies in San Diego: but how to choose the right one for you? We’ve compiled some of the most important things to look out for when it comes to choosing your solar panel installer.
- Expertise: Your solar installer should have expertise in the solar industry. A company with expertise means they’ve been established for more than a few years and have thousands of installations under their belt. Another thing to be on the lookout for is if the solar company has roofing experience. It’s good to know the company handling your solar installation for your house’s roof knows their way around roofs.
- Inhouse team: Many solar companies subcontract their installation employees. Solar companies who use in-house installers are much more reliable and experienced.
- Credentials: A reputable solar installation company will have all of the necessary licenses, insurance policies and credentials needed for all areas they operate in. They should be listed on their website and easy to find. A company with all credentials will meet all of the state standards and is certified as a legitimate business.
- Reputation: Reading solar company reviews is a great place to start. Keep an eye out for companies that respond to their customer reviews and respond in a professional and timely manner. Companies who care about their customers will be helpful and thankful to their customers. Another bonus is to look for a solar company that has won awards and been named in the top of their industry.
- Warranties: Warranties are a very important factor when considering solar installation companies. Many solar companies do not have reliable warranties. When buying an expensive system, you want to protect your investment with warranties and knowing you’re backed up by the company for years to come.
San Diego Solar Installation: Sunpro Solar, Trusted Solar Company in San Diego and Surrounding Areas
Since 2008, Sunpro Solar has a proven history and reputation for providing quality service, and was ranked #2 for 2021 Solar Power World’s Top Residential Solar Installer in the United States. We are proud to offer some of the best warranties you can find in the solar industry and only use products that offer the same.
- 25 Year Labor Warranty
- 25 Year Production Guarantee
- 25 Year Solar Panel Manufacturer Warranty
- 25 Year Enphase Microinverter Warranty
- Thousands of happy homeowners
- Free Home Energy Audit
- Roof replacement experts
Solar Panel Quote for San Diego Residents
If you’re ready to take the next step, or even if you’re considering what it would take to get you there, contact a Solar Sales Specialist at Sunpro Solar. We’re ready to answer any questions you have about the process and we make going solar easy. We install solar and roofs in San Diego and surrounding areas. Contact us today to see if we service your area and get a free customized solar quote.Free Solar Quote
See What Our Customers Are Saying
[Sunpro Solar] did an excellent job at educating me on why I should go solar. [They] knew what was important for me and my family, so his work definitely met our wants & needs. We are so excited to save money and we can’t wait for our panels to be setup. Thank you once again!
March 15, 2021