Energy efficiency is when one piece of technology uses less energy to perform the same function as another piece of technology. For example, a washing machine built now would work better on less energy than a washing machine made in, say, the 1960’s. The newer washing machine is more energy efficient.
Energy Efficiency Means More Freedom for You
When things are efficient, life runs smoother. Think about it- when everything is operating as it should, your everyday tasks go by so much quicker, and when things aren’t operating efficiently you have to fix the problem. Usually you have to fix it in your valuable (and sometimes rare) spare time. When things aren’t energy efficient you may not realize there’s a problem until you get the utilities bill. At that point it’s hard to ignore it. There’s even energy efficiency policies now to help you make your home more sustainable and reduce your energy usage. The pros of becoming more energy efficient vastly outway any cons.
Energy Efficiency PROS
- Using renewable energy with solar helps to keep your utility bills down, which means you have more money to save for your next project. Or maybe a new boat, if you like boats.
- Energy efficiency means being independent from your utilities company and their fluctuating costs. With your ability to produce your own energy, you can keep your house truly your own, and out of the whims of the electric company. You can also save the surplus if you decide to invest in a battery system as well.
- Solar panels pay typically for themselves in 3 to 7 years, which means that you get decades worth of free energy.
- Sunpro Solar panels are guaranteed (and warranted, because we’re cool like that) to last for 25 years. And your panels will likely last longer than 25 years, so you get free electricity beyond that too.
- Each system is designed specifically for your home to give you the highest rate of solar energy capture. They also require minimal maintenance. And since you’re warranted anyway, you can always call us at Sunpro Solar if you ever have any concerns.
- Solar panels use sustainable energy. That means its source of energy (the sun) will never go out. Okay, eventually the sun will go out, but not for another 5 billion years. As long as the sun is around, your panels will work.
- All you have to do is install them. Seriously. You won’t have to do any heavy lifting to make sure they work. The most you’ll have to do is go outside to make sure nothing has blocked the sunlight, and you’re done.
Energy Efficiency CONS
- If you don’t count the 26% federal tax credit, or state incentives, or other assorted rebates available for switching to solar which you can take advantage of, then yes, your solar panel cost looks expensive. But again- that’s if you don’t count all the awesome incentives available to help you get it.
- That’s it. That’s the only con. Neat, huh?
Energy Efficiency is Great For Me, But What’s the Big Deal if I Don’t Do It?
Currently, the majority of electricity produced is created by using fossil fuels. Fossil fuels are the product of organic materials that were compressed over many, many years. Think millenia. The compressed organic material turned into the fossil fuels we have today- coal, oil, and gas.
The problem with these fossil fuels is that they create pollution, heavily contribute to global warming, and there’s only so much of it. It took a very, very long time for fossil fuels to be created, and the whole world is currently using fossil fuels. This means that when the supply inevitably starts to run low, the price of electricity and gas is going to increase exponentially. You’ll have a much harder time saving for the hypothetical boat mentioned earlier because you’ll be too busy paying off that massive energy bill. It’s critical that people start looking at renewable, efficient energy now, before we start getting to that point.
Sunpro Solar’s sister company, Energypro, specializes in helping you improve your energy efficiency. They will be happy to discuss any questions you may have when it comes to making energy efficient improvements to your home.